How To Prevent Water Damage From a Broken Pipe
A huge winter storm has been sweeping across the southern US recently. Freezing winter temperatures can cause extensive water damage as pipes begin to freeze and burst, causing broken pipe damage to your home. Even a small crack in your water pipe can allow enough water to cause wet floors and flood your home. So, it is essential that you get water remediation Allen TX to protect your home.
Immediate Prevention of Water Damage From Frozen Pipes
Before you even expect extreme weather to strike, make sure to prepare your home to prevent water damage. When temperatures drop, take action to prevent water damage:
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinets to allow warm air in to start warming up water pipes.
- Open taps around your house to allow water to drip and to keep water pipes from freezing.
- When going out of town, keep your thermostat at 55 degrees Fahrenheit and ask someone you trust to watch your home for some time. You might also want to turn your water off and drain water supply lines.
How to Deal With Frozen Pipes Damage
After your pipes freeze, they are in danger of bursting and a broken pipe is always dangerous. When pipes freeze and then thaw out as temperature rises again, frozen pipes tend to crack and burst, and a broken pipe causes water leaks and flooding.
If you have to deal with the pipes when they have already frozen, don’t worry - we have some advice for you on how to fix it as soon as possible. You can always get professional water remediation Allen TX. Here's what you can do immediately to prevent water damage to your property.
- Inspect every single pipe in your home for damage, including those in attics and crawl spaces, where it is safe to do so. If you are not feeling safe, call a professional contractor for water remediation Allen TX.
- As temperatures rise above freezing, watch for signs of water leaks, like dripping sounds and wet floors.
- If a pipe is leaking, avoid turning it on and using it. Turn off the main water supply. Open all faucets including the ones outside to drain the remaining water.
- Remove valuables possessions and belongings from the possible leak and wet floor area that might be exposed to water damage if the frozen pipe bursts.
If you face water damage, you should hire a professional roofing contractor for water remediation Allen TX. Advantage Remodeling and Roofing has lots of experience in dealing with water damage. Call us at (214) 250-3975.